conworlds.fun Forum Index conworlds.fun
A Community of Worldbuilders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Psychoactive Chemicals or whatnot.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    conworlds.fun Forum Index -> World & Culture
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Saturday
Adorable Troll

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Psychoactive Chemicals or whatnot. Reply with quote

There's only one psychoactive chemical I've worked out at the moment, and that is Kaf.

Kaf is a psychoactive plant whose beans are brewed by Kaf Shamans in Algebedon, so that they, along with other Algebedonians, can be with the gods. There are two cultivars of Kaf, one of which both an entheogen and a stimulant, the other not having the entheogenic properties. The E-cultivar can only be grown in Algebedon, due to certain properties of the Godking, and as such, its use as an entheogen is restricted to Algebedon. The other cultivar is much hardier, and doesn't rely upon deific power to sustain it, and is used throughout much of the Mortal Lands. The E-cultivar is used to become more receptive to the gods. If it is double-brewed, it becomes too strong, and will kill the one who has consumed it, as they will become receptive enough that the gods are drawn into them, and the mortal body cannot handle the stress of deific power. This is called "Making Right", as the Kaf shamans will only double brew it for repentant murderers or those who despair of life.

Halikarnassian wrote:
And that asshole Mr. S was always going to eviscerate you just because he can.

Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.
Mr. Saturday
Adorable Troll

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charfatte

A plant that grows in Setthe which has spread through most of the North of the Mortal Lands. It improves soil and prevents erosion, and can grow damn near anywhere. Can be smoked to provide relaxation. Common methods of smoking are pipes, rolled in papers, or a casing made of charfatte leaves. In areas where it is legal it is highly specified, and a very elite enterprise. In places where it is illegal, often the charfatte is very low grade, and wrapped in whatever paper can be come by.

Basically, this is a tobacco analog.

Halikarnassian wrote:

eldin raigmore
Wizard
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't have any yet. But I'm pretty sure some of the religions on Adpihi include the equivalent of "meditating with the aid of mushrooms". I haven't worked on any of them yet, though.

In the Reptigan culture, which is interstellar and multi-species, there probably are many more psychedelic etc. drugs, some of which are psychedelic only to certain species; on others they will either have no effect or be poisons. I don't know that I'll develop that idea much.

Does anyone besides me or Mr. Saturday have psychoactive drugs, either for religious or recreational use, in their concultures?
GrenDrake
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my nation of Razaz Nudar, the use of psychoactive chemicals is fairly common (and legal). I haven't detailed any of said chemicals, however.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lryda mbazha
Conjurer
Conjurer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Psychoactive Chemicals or whatnot. Reply with quote

Mr. Saturday wrote:
There's only one psychoactive chemical I've worked out at the moment, and that is Kaf.

Every time I look at your Feylands thread I laugh because 'Kaf' sounds like coffee. Hopefully the humour is intentional? Very Happy
Mr. Saturday
Adorable Troll

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A liquid stimulant brewed from beans that sounds in name like [kAfi:]? IMPOSSIBLE.

Halikarnassian wrote:

Jojoba
Newcomer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cool to see the ways in which others use psychoactives in their conworlds. In Phalta, there is a plant that grows mostly in Sagiji (the Orange Kingdom). The name of the plant translated into common speech is godflesh. The petals are dried and then ground. From there it can be ingested in numerous ways. For recreational users, being under the influence is very similar to mushrooms or LSD in terms of visual hallucinations. Depending on dosage severe auditory hallucinations can occur. The trip lasts about 8 hours and directly afterward the body crashes and sleeps for about 8 hours, to recuperate.

The only group that actually use it habitually are the Gurat. They are a mafiosi type group that runs the black market trade within Sagiji. The key to the drug is that habitual use allows it to build up in your system and overtime the chemicals and magic of the plant can synthesize with inherent chemicals and magic of the user. With training and time, certain people are accepted into the ranks of the Gurat. A full Gurat master can change shape, seduce and coerce others with ease, and even can cause others in their vicinity to change shape and form. The Gurat commonly move around in the form of steppe panthers.

Characteristic signs that someone is under the influence of godflesh are large dazed eyes, erratic and absurd behavior, and when ingested the user emits a distinct odor most people label as "an exotic and intoxicating aroma of vanilla with hints of garlic, rain, and fermented cabbage..."

Dangers of the drug are not yet fully known for recreational users, however, habitual use leads to severe problems. As stated before the drug accumulates if used regularly. As soon as it begins to accumulate it begins changing the user. For the Gurat that change can be directed towards powerful ends, but for someone without guidance the instability it creates can literally dissolve the mind and spirit.

The flower is known for its beautiful purple leaves streaked with orange and crimson.
chiarizio
Planewalker
Planewalker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Christians come there, do their communion-wafers contain "godflesh"?
Mr. Saturday
Adorable Troll

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nalre: The primary source of the Cueniai riches, this intoxicating nut is sugary and tastes of hazelnut and chocolate. The plant is mainly found on seacoast, and it "sweats" salt out onto the nuts, It's use is, like most "drugs", is prohibited in Ialre, but that doesn't stop nobles from giving it to their wives, where, because of it's illegality and it's purported aphrodisiac properties, is considered the height of romance.

Halikarnassian wrote:

Jojoba
Newcomer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha...clever indeed...i hadn't even thought about that connection

'god' in this sense refers to the divine force of the creators, Great Mother and Father...not the judeo-christian god

besides...i doubt christians would show up anytime soon in Phalta
bloodb4roses
Planewalker
Planewalker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Saturday wrote:
Nalre: The primary source of the Cueniai riches, this intoxicating nut is sugary and tastes of hazelnut and chocolate. The plant is mainly found on seacoast, and it "sweats" salt out onto the nuts, It's use is, like most "drugs", is prohibited in Ialre, but that doesn't stop nobles from giving it to their wives, where, because of it's illegality and it's purported aphrodisiac properties, is considered the height of romance.

A Nutela flavored drug. If I were ever to go to your world, I'd make sure I got some. Although I'd stay away from people when I did. Razz What other properties does it have?
Mr. Saturday
Adorable Troll

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, it's delicious and makes you wanna fuck. You kinda get "drunk" but your perceptions are quite a bit better. More "exuberant".

It can be grown away from the coast, where it doesn't sweat out the salt, but that's considered oversweet by most.

Halikarnassian wrote:

bloodb4roses
Planewalker
Planewalker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Saturday wrote:
Basically, it's delicious and makes you wanna fuck. You kinda get "drunk" but your perceptions are quite a bit better. More "exuberant".

So, from what I can tell, it has the properties [absinthe][+aphrodisiac]([+/-creativity?]).
Mr. Saturday
Adorable Troll

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[+creativity]. Artists occasionally combine it with Kaf, have sexual intercourse with their sexbuddy/husband/wife/whatevs and then paint/write/compose brilliantly afterwards.

Halikarnassian wrote:

Jojoba
Newcomer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also in Phalta there is a plant that most people refer colloquially as 'Leaf'. It is very similar to cannabis in its properties and each year there is a Leaf festival to celebrate summer. The festival is open to all kingdoms but often attendance is limited to whichever continent it is being held on that year.

Leaf can grow pretty ubiquitously, though potency is affected in less arable climates. At the Leaf festival they have judges typically composed of royals and sometimes guest kings. They rate the leaf and select the best. High honors go to the farmer or cultivar of the best leaf. Winners or notable participants get more royal traffic since kings and people with money tend to enjoy its giddy effects.

Caveat...to much leaf can lead to severe addiction...the addiction can lead to a very bad and scarring rash along your body. It is painful when the rash begins to spread. The only thing that dulls the pain of the rash is intoxication by the chemicals in Leaf. With abstinence, time, and certain topical herbs the rash can stop spreading, but it will scar you for life wherever it had already reached...

If addiction and usage continues madness will follow. Parents often use tales of the leaf-maddened to warn their children and prevent usage. In reality most people don't have access to Leaf, or atleast access to good enough Leaf that will do anything significantly psychotropic. Most Leaf has such low levels that the only 'high' you get is from oxygen asphyxiation.
Mr. Saturday
Adorable Troll

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

REEFER MADNESS

Halikarnassian wrote:

Jojoba
Newcomer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm yah...definitely a cannabis analog...though in phalta there are more physical detriments...like certified madness...
Mr. Saturday
Adorable Troll

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun fact: Marijuana can cause psychosis in certain individuals. Mainly those who are latently schizophrenic.

Halikarnassian wrote:

Jojoba
Newcomer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had heard that, but I wasn't sure how much scientific grounding there was in it...the same sorts of things can be triggered from psilocybin mushrooms...People with a predisposition to schizophrenia can have that state irritated and triggered and mushrooms can cause some people to become schizophrenic before they would normally or would at all...interesting
eldin raigmore
Wizard
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Methylxanthines? including among others caffeine? theobromine? and theophylline?
I am also chiarizio.
Mr. Saturday
Adorable Troll

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eldin raigmore wrote:
Methylxanthines? including among others caffeine? theobromine? and theophylline?

Uh, what?

Halikarnassian wrote:

eldin raigmore
Wizard
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Saturday wrote:
Uh, what?
In Kage Barker's time-travel stories the immortals' big high comes from theobromine ("divine fragrance" or "divine food"), the active ingredient in chocolate. (They're immune to alcohol.)

Someone else wrote a story in which some clairvoyants' and/or telepaths' abilities depended on a part of their brain which reacted that way to theobromine. If you wanted this prophetess or whatever to do something for you, you had not only to pay her, but also to feed her chocolate.

Theophylline ("divine herb" or "divine bloom") is the active ingredient in tea. It is an isomer of theobromine.

All three compounds are methylxanthines. Xanthine is a purine (like adenine and guanine). So is paraxanthine, the fourth methylxanthine, which is also a psychoactive central-nervous-system stimulant. But paraxanthine is not found in plants, while caffeine and theobromine and theophylline are synthesized by plants.

Methylxanthines are alkaloids. Many alkaloids are poisons and many are plant-products; nicotine and cocaine are examples. Some methylxanthines are poisonous to humans and some aren't. Theobromine, for instance, is poisonous to dogs but not to humans.

Theophylline is chronotropic. What that really means is just that it makes your heart beat faster (other chronotropes might make it beat slower); but I think if a species has an innate time-traveling ability, perhaps it only kicks in if they dose up on theophylline.

Theobromine is also called xantheose, which means something like "yellow sugar" or "brown sugar", though it isn't chemically similar to sugar, and is bitter instead of sweet. Among other uses, it's supposed to be a better antitussive (cough-suppressant) than codeine. It's also an aphrodisiac. And it relaxes smooth muscles including bronchial muscles, so it can be used to treat asthma.

Somebody had mentioned nicotine, which is found in tobacco (surprise!), coca, eggplant, tomato, green pepper, and potato. I just thought methylxanthines -- or rather, caffeine and theobromine and theophylline -- also had possibilities.
I am also chiarizio.
Mr. Saturday
Adorable Troll

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read back over "Kaf". Yeah that.

Halikarnassian wrote:

bloodb4roses
Planewalker
Planewalker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eldin raigmore wrote:
Mr. Saturday wrote:
Uh, what?
<snip about methylxanthines and time travel>

Interesting... So it's not so far fetched to have Eridhwein, one of the Satans of the Vren, be an avid cocoa drinker. Wink
eldin raigmore
Wizard
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloodb4roses wrote:
eldin raigmore wrote:
<snip about methylxanthines and time travel>
Interesting... So it's not so far fetched to have Eridhwein, one of the Satans of the Vren, be an avid cocoa drinker. Wink
From what I read I think tea-drinker moreso than cocoa-drinker; theophylline rather than theobromine seems to be the chronotrope. But what the hey, do it your own way.

------------------------------------------------------------

Another deliberately false etymology:
"theobromine" (cacao) if you want to smell like a goddess;
"theophylline" (tea) if you want to love a goddess.
I am also chiarizio.
wheelerpm
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how bout a culture that's almost entirely addicted to a mild stimulant? Laughing
Mr. Saturday
Adorable Troll

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can call it Acirema.

Halikarnassian wrote:

wheelerpm
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

box it and ship it. I'll get on the phone with hollywood.
eldin raigmore
Wizard
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wheelerpm wrote:
how bout a culture that's almost entirely addicted to a mild stimulant? Laughing
Don't forget that methyl-xanthines are "mild stimulants" to humans, but dangerous, possibly even fatal stimulants to dogs.
There are other substances which are toxic, possibly fatal, to some animals (including humans), but only cause drunkenness in certain birds.
And so on.
So if your conspecies isn't perfectly human, or has been somewhat evolved or mutated or selected from humans, they may have a somewhat different reaction to these "mild stimulants".
I am also chiarizio.
Fonori
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wheelerpm wrote:

Ahm -- like a number of Latin American countries?
Genogeh
Conjurer
Conjurer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fonori wrote:
wheelerpm wrote:

Cocaine goes straight to the US, bro.
Fonori
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genogeh wrote:
Fonori wrote:
wheelerpm wrote:

I was thinking caffeine.
Genogeh
Conjurer
Conjurer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. Of course.
Fonori
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I was kidding, anyway.

BTW, since when is coke mild?
Genogeh
Conjurer
Conjurer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything can be mild if done in moderation.

Except meth. Meth will turn you into trailer trash.
Mr. Saturday
Adorable Troll

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genogeh wrote:
Anything can be mild if done in moderation.

Except meth. Meth will turn you into trailer trash.

TRUTH.

Halikarnassian wrote:

chiarizio
Planewalker
Planewalker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fonori wrote:
Genogeh wrote:
I was thinking caffeine.
Fonori wrote:
I've read alternate-history stories in which coke is sold cheap at McDonald's but "the fiend" ('feine, caffeine) is a controlled substance.
And there was a Sliders' episode in which coffee was a controlled substance.
wheelerpm
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of us who are dumb, I was talking about America. Rolling Eyes

It might be a good idea to control Caffeine. While the effects of caffeine are nothing, it's addictive as shit. It's funny working at a convenience store watching people buy $3.00 energy drinks every morning.
eldin raigmore
Wizard
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wheelerpm wrote:
For those of us who are dumb, I was talking about America.
I didn't suspect that any of us didn't get that. Nacirema or Marrika or Merkun or any other permutation of those letters is likely to be recognized, especially by any of us who have read about the war between the Sixa and the Seilla.
I am also chiarizio.
chiarizio
Planewalker
Planewalker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump.
http://conworlds.fun/cwbb/viewtopic.php?p=6344&highlight=psychoactive#6344
chiarizio
Planewalker
Planewalker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fonori wrote:
And I was kidding, anyway.

(Maybe cocaine you snort or inject is never mild. Maybe nothing you snort or inject is ever mild. But if you swallow it, especially if you have to digest it, maybe it can be mild, if the amount isn’t too great.)

Coca-Kola was originally a mix of cocaine and caffeine (from kola nuts) dissolved in wine.
The maker was told it would bring legal trouble to make it an alcohol drink.
So he decided to leave out the wine and cover up the bitterness of the two active ingredients with lots and lots and lots of sugar.
That worked; Coca-Kola became kinda popular.
Then some marketing-genius friend he had hired advised him to spell both parts of the name starting with C.
So they renamed it Coca-Cola and it really took off.
It wasn’t a drug problem on the same scale as that cough-medicine Heroin.
But when lawmakers and law-enforcers started getting anxious about cocaine, Coca-Cola decided to start omitting the cocaine entirely.
Its addictiveness and bad effects on health today come entirely from its caffeine and sugar. A caffeine-free Diet Coke or caffeine-free Coke Zero really are unlikely to have major bad effects on your health unless you drink them to an excessively excessive amount and frequency. Or have an individual sensitivity to an ingredient.
Still to this day, however, some non-cocaine-containing parts of the coca plant, provide some of the flavour to Coca-Cola.
chiarizio
Planewalker
Planewalker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked this thread, and I’ve been thinking lately about the things said here, and so I’m not ready to give it up.

Does anyone else have anything?

I’m thinking psychoactive cheese, perhaps made from “milking” my super-hyper-meta-omnivore that I posted about many moons ago.
I don’t know what psychoactive effects it might have.
I’m thinking, general peacefulness, plus some psi power (temporarily);
but no deets yet, really.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    conworlds.fun Forum Index -> World & Culture All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: