conworlds.fun Forum Index conworlds.fun
A Community of Worldbuilders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elemtilas
Conjurer
Conjurer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Introductions Reply with quote

I guess I'd better introduce myself before forgetting much longer! At least one other person here has recognised me (elemtilas) from Elsewhere. I've been working on The World for about thirty five years, and I think I'm kind of getting the hang of this world building thing! There's very little online -- you can see what there is at http://www.frathwiki.com/The_World. Most everything is on that old fashioned stuff called paper.

As you can see from by .sig, I also dabble in glossopoeia, and as a part of making the World, also dabble in alt-world musical and literary forms, writing the music and telling the stories that come from the World, not just stories about what happens there.

Hope you all don't mind if I drop by from time to time to participate in the conversations ongoing. Also, I certainly don't mind and indeed welcome questions or critiques of any aspects of the stories or World-oriented articles I post here!

elemtilas
Planewalker
Planewalker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Introductions Reply with quote

elemtilas wrote:
I've been working on The World for about thirty five years,

Are you 50 y/o yet?

(btw thanks for your other two posts today. I commented on The Three Ravens but simply read your Paleolithic Hoarding response with interest.)
elemtilas
Conjurer
Conjurer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Introductions Reply with quote

chiarizio wrote:
elemtilas wrote:

Are you 50 y/o yet?

(btw thanks for your other two posts today. I commented on The Three Ravens but simply read your Paleolithic Hoarding response with interest.)

Nope! Not yet. I haven't actually done the math, but I know I started writing about the World either very early in high school or very late in grammar school. I can pinpoint almost to the day (or at least week) my second conlang, and that would have been in fifth grade or so; I'm not exactly sure how or when visions of the World came along.

elemtilas
Planewalker
Planewalker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Introductions Reply with quote

elemtilas wrote:
chiarizio wrote:
elemtilas wrote:

Are you 50 y/o yet?

Nope! Not yet. I haven't actually done the math, but I know I started writing about the World either very early in high school or very late in grammar school. I can pinpoint almost to the day (or at least week) my second conlang, and that would have been in fifth grade or so; I'm not exactly sure how or when visions of the World came along.

elemtilas

In the USA high school sophomore year is 10th grade and you're usually 15 when you start it.
If you're not 50 yet then 35 years ago you might have been in 9th grade; that's either the freshman year of highschool or the last year of junior high, depending on whether your school district has a junior high school (grades 7 through 9) instead of a "middle school" (I think that's grades 5 through 8 ). You'd probably have been 14 when you started 9th grade, 13 when you started 8th grade, or 12 when you started 7th grade; unless you skipped a grade, in which case you'd be a year younger. (There are also other reasons you could be a year younger or a year older.)

I got "50" by adding "35"plus "15".
I thought you were under 50.

But I don't think we see a lot of early-teens and pre-teens. We see a few, but I thought they could be counted on the fingers of just one hand. Maybe I was wrong.

I think of 15 as "mid-teens". (Or maybe that's 16 that's mid-teens?)
We do see lots of teens, the older they are the more we see of them; and the further they've gotten in high school -- or in university -- the more we see of them.

(I now wonder; have I made a relevant post? Well, at least it might be.)

You were probably 10 years old when you started the 5th grade, so you might have been 10 or 11 when you created your second conlang.
A tweenager, in other words.
We don't see many 10-to-12s.
elemtilas
Conjurer
Conjurer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Introductions Reply with quote

chiarizio wrote:
You'd probably have been 14 when you started 9th grade, 13 when you started 8th grade, or 12 when you started 7th grade; unless you skipped a grade, in which case you'd be a year younger. (There are also other reasons you could be a year younger or a year older.)

Ah, I never did understand "middle school". Of course, in the Catholic system, you have grammar school until 8th and then directly on to high school. The first (semi)coherent story about the World was written in HS, looks like as a junior, though I know I'd drawn pictures and seen visions of the place and had some written scriptures rather earlier than that. Probably by a year or two.

Quote:
But I don't think we see a lot of early-teens and pre-teens. We see a few, but I thought they could be counted on the fingers of just one hand. Maybe I was wrong.

Maybe we need a polyfingered hand?

Quote:
You were probably 10 years old when you started the 5th grade, so you might have been 10 or 11 when you created your second conlang.
A tweenager, in other words. We don't see many 10-to-12s.

Yes, ten years old. I was very fortunate to have an older cousin who was terribly sensible about these kinds of things, being a weaver of tales and teller of worlds herself, who gave me much encouragement.

That elusive First Act of Glossopoesy was probably a year or two in advance of this first written evidence. In the summertime, back when the world was new...

elemtilas
Planewalker
Planewalker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Introductions Reply with quote

elemtilas wrote:
Ah, I never did understand "middle school". Of course, in the Catholic system, you have grammar school until 8th and then directly on to high school.

The public school system when/where I went to school was:
elementary/primary 1st to 6th grade:
junior high 7th to 9th;
high 10th to 12th.

The public school system when/where my daughter went to school is:
elementary/primary 1st to 4th grade:
middle high 5th to 8th;
high 9th to 12th.

I'm with you; I never did understand any of those systems.

elemtilas wrote:
The first (semi)coherent story about the World was written in HS, looks like as a junior,

i.e. 11th grade?
elemtilas
Conjurer
Conjurer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Introductions Reply with quote

chiarizio wrote:
Quote:
The first (semi)coherent story about the World was written in HS, looks like as a junior,

i.e. 11th grade?

Yes indeed! And for all that it was so long ago, I never did finish it...

elemtilas
Planewalker
Planewalker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read http://www.frathwiki.com/The_World .
Oddly it wouldn’t show it to me when I looked for it as is;
I had to “look for [it] on other pages”.

I’ve also had trouble accessing any cohesive narrative on jelly donut world or its descendants.
Not that that’s related at all.
Xhin
The Collector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a wiki a while back:

http://jellydonut.pbworks.com/w/page/6488814/FrontPage

GameTalk X.0 -- Here
chiarizio
Planewalker
Planewalker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xhin wrote:
I made a wiki a while back:

http://jellydonut.pbworks.com/w/page/6488814/FrontPage

Thanks!

It was last edited 11 years ago and the “Thread” link on the front page re-directs to Google (with no search string).

The Navigator and the SideBar are quite helpful and entertaining!

The RecentActivity has a “PlugIn Error”.
elemtilas
Conjurer
Conjurer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiarizio wrote:
I read http://www.frathwiki.com/The_World .
Oddly it wouldn’t show it to me when I looked for it as is;
I had to “look for [it] on other pages”.

I’ve also had trouble accessing any cohesive narrative on jelly donut world or its descendants.
Not that that’s related at all.

Thank heavens for that!

I thought for a minute I had made an entire world and completely forgot about it!

Well, it wouldn't be the first time, but still!

Odd about Frath behaving that way. What does it show you in stead of the desired page? It works fine for me!
Planewalker
Planewalker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once it told me to look for it on other pages; like Wikipedia will if you try to find the page on Aphros or Aphrus.
But it works great now! I can’t reproduce the original weird behavior.
elemtilas
Conjurer
Conjurer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiarizio wrote:
Once it told me to look for it on other pages; like Wikipedia will if you try to find the page on Aphros or Aphrus.
But it works great now! I can’t reproduce the original weird behavior.

Glad it's working properly for you now!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conworlds.fun Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: