conworlds.fun Forum Index conworlds.fun
A Community of Worldbuilders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Armistice Day 11th hour of 11th day of 11th month

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiarizio
Archmage
Archmage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Armistice Day 11th hour of 11th day of 11th month Reply with quote

Who, if any, of us, intend to observe 11 seconds of silence at 11:11 on November 11th this Sunday?
bloodb4roses
Planewalker
Planewalker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even know about this. But it is a minor holiday for the Homestucks as the webcomic came off a major hiatus on this date a few years back.
chiarizio
Archmage
Archmage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloodb4roses wrote:
I didn't even know about this. But it is a minor holiday for the Homestucks as the webcomic came off a major hiatus on this date a few years back.

Did your native country, or your current one, not send anybody to World War 1?
Did none of your relatives or neighbors, or neighbors’ relatives or relatives’ neighbors, go?

———

How about later foreign wars of the USA 🇺🇸?

Or of whatever country you live in or come from?

Knowing about 11:11 on 11/11 could easily be a generational thing.
But you did know about Veterans’ Day, didn’t you?

———

P.S. I’ve lost track of where you told us where you come from and where you live now, but I had the impression it was all in the USA, and some in California. How embarassed should I be?
elemtilas
Conjurer
Conjurer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Armistice Day 11th hour of 11th day of 11th month Reply with quote

chiarizio wrote:
Who, if any, of us, intend to observe 11 seconds of silence at 11:11 on November 11th this Sunday?

Our local classical music station has done a good job this weekend and today of presenting Armistice Day related works -- not just military related stuff in particular, but works relating specifically to WWI and the armistice. Also works from the countries of the major participants. (But of course, Russia, England, Germany, France, Italy & Austria-Hungary -- the bright nucleus of classical music! So every day is kind of a League of Nations of music.)
Planewalker
Planewalker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do live in the US and grew up in California. My grandparents on both sides were born after WW1, and on one side they lived through the Great Depression; My grandfather on that side fought in WW2. My grandfather on the other side fought in Korea as a Marine. So it might be that all the wars my family that I am personally acquainted with participated in were after WW1, but for my part I'm surprised I didn't know about this until this year.

Yes, I do know about Veteren's Day.
chiarizio
Archmage
Archmage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sorry, After I posted, I found where you’d told us much of that.
My dad was born in 1914 so he missed the War to End All Wars.
The only picture of him in uniform I’ve seen is as a high school cadet.
My mom was born in 1927 so she grew up in the Great Depression that started in 1929.
My dad and his brother went to college and professional school (law for my uncle, medicine for my dad) and graduated during the Depression. The first jobs they got with their professional degrees were sweeping up in dime stores. They felt very lucky to get those jobs.
During WW2 my dad practiced in Tuskegee. He worked for the government, and i seem to recall for the military, but the details have slipped my mind. They wanted him to be a doctor in the US, not a soldier overseas.

My mom did a lot of civilian volunteer work of the rolling bandages and preparing first aid kits type. She was in college. Because her name was Billie Jo her little sister had to explain to the MPs who came to their house to arrest this draft dodger that her sisters Billie and Jackie were girls. She says they said some words she’d never heard before.

My father’s father was born in 1872, the decade Reconstruction ended. He was 42 y/o when WW1 started, 46 when the US entered it, and was a preacher and schoolteacher, so they didn’t want him to fight. I never heard that he was involved in the Spanish American War nor any other wars between the Civil War and WW1. But his father was an anti-secession anti-slavery Southron, and my granpa witnessed his father driving the KKK off their land.

I hope I didn’t say anything annoying.

—————

I have seen “fan” pluralized as “fen” (paralleling man-men), so I think “veteren” is a perfectly reasonable plural for “veteran”.

—————

Are you the one who went to college in Ripon California? Some ZBBer with a vampiric screenname did, if i recall correctly. I think I mistook them to mean Ripon Mass at first.
bloodb4roses
Planewalker
Planewalker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiarizio wrote:

Are you the one who went to college in Ripon California? Some ZBBer with a vampiric screenname did, if i recall correctly. I think I mistook them to mean Ripon Mass at first.

That was someone else. For college, I was in Sacramento, then ended up back in my home town but I can see why you'd get confused.

I think it's interesting to see how people's family histories affect what they know and don't know, sometimes as much as what they themselves have experienced.
chiarizio
Archmage
Archmage

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prolly vampiresquid. Or vampireshark, assuming they’re different. )
(You were vampyresmyles, weren’t you? If not maybe they were the one who went to Ripon. )

—————

Yes, it’s because my grandfather was a preacher and my parents were missionaries that I know as much about the Bible as I do.
It’s because my father was a doctor that I know as much about medicine as I do.
And so on.
bloodb4roses
Planewalker
Planewalker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiarizio wrote:
Prolly vampiresquid. Or vampireshark, assuming they’re different. )
(You were vampyresmyles, weren’t you? If not maybe they were the one who went to Ripon. )

Yeah vampyresmiles, but now I'm going by linguistcat on both ZBB and CBB.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conworlds.fun Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: