conworlds.fun Forum Index conworlds.fun
A Community of Worldbuilders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adpihi (and later, Reptigan)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiarizio
Archmage
Archmage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:21 am    Post subject: Adpihi (and later, Reptigan) Reply with quote

Adpihi divide a circle into 144 "Adpihi degrees"; each such degree is divided into 144 "Adpihi minutes". So there are 20736 "Adpihi minutes" in a full circle.

Each "Adpihi minute" of latitude, and, on the equator, each "Adpihi minute" of longitude, is an "Adpihi nautical mile", or "Adpihi kilometer".
Since twelve gross (=1728 in our notation) is the Adpihi "equivalent" of our "thousand" -- it's the cube of their base -- it makes sense for each "Adpihi mile" to be divided into twelve gross "Adpihi yards" (our statute mile is 1760 of our yards), or each "Adpihi kilometer" to be divided into twelve gross "Adpihi meters".

1 Adpihi mile/kilometer is about:
1.041667 of our nautical miles
1.205633 of our statute miles
1.929012 of our kilometers

1 Adpihi yard/meter is about:
1.227959 of our yards
1.116327 of our meters

Although almost everything in Adpihi is in base-twelve (dozenal), the number of "Adpihi hours" in a day (a nycthemeron, a day-night cycle, sunrise to sunrise or sunset to sunset or midnight to midnight or noon to noon) is sixteen (or "four and a dozen"). So an "Adpihi hour" is (almost?) exactly 1.5 of our hours.

So, an "Adpihi mile per hour" is about:
0.694444 of our knots or
0.803755 of our miles-per-hour or
1.286008 of our kilometers-per-hour.

For the time being, use the digits 0-9 and the letters T and E for a base-and-place notation of Adpihi counting-numbers; T for our ten and E for our eleven.

Reptigan roads (and very late Adpihi roads) have speed limits of:
16 Adpihi miles-per-hour (14.46759 mph, 23.14815 kph)
36 Adpihi miles-per-hour (33.75772 mph, 54.01235 kph)
56 Adpihi miles-per-hour (53.04784 mph, 84.87654 kph)
76 Adpihi miles-per-hour (72.33796 mph, 115.74074 kph)
96 Adpihi miles-per-hour (91.62809 mph, 146.60494 kph)
E6 Adpihi miles-per-hour (110.91821 mph, 177.46914 kph)
(Numbers in blue are in base twelve. Numbers in black are in decimal.)

The 16 Amph and 36 Amph roads* are available to non-motor vehicles (such as bicycles and rikshas and horse-drawn or ox-drawn vehicle) and to horses and to pedestrians.
Motor vehicles are required to be especially careful on the 16 Amph roads, and yield to non-motor traffic.
*[edit]On second thought the 36 Amph roads may be unsafe for non-motor vehicles and horses and pedestrians and so on. (12/30/15)[\edit]
The 56 Amph roads are not available to pedestrians or horses or non-motor vehicles; but they are available to open motor vehicles such as motorcycles.
The 76 Amph roads are not available to open vehicles, nor to non-motor vehicles.

On all roads, all vehicles must be inspected and licensed and insured, and all drivers must be tested and licensed and insured. But on 96 Amph roads and E6 Amph roads tougher inspection, tougher testing, and greater insurance are required, and licensing is more stringent.
96 Amph roads are available only to government vehicles driven by government personnel (this includes governments of any level; local (township/county) or state/country or world; provided the vehicles and drivers are inspected, tested, licensed, and insured), and to high-occupancy vehicles (such as omnibuses).
E6 Amph roads are available only to emergency vehicles such as police and ambulance and fire and rescue, operating for some government, and to military vehicles.

A trained soldier can march at a sustained pace of about 3.6 mph, or about 4 and a half Amph;
especially if s/he marches only on alternate days, and only on alternate hours on those days, and doesn't march at night, nor in the first hour of the morning, nor the last hour of the evening.
More commonly, an unburdened person in good shape can walk at a sustained pace of about 2.4 mph or about 3 Amph, with shorter and less but more frequent rest-breaks than the soldier above, and not for as long as the soldier.

Since this is a WIP conworld, all of the stuff in this thread is subject to change, unless and until I say otherwise.

Last edited by chiarizio on Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:01 am; edited 5 times in total
chiarizio
Archmage
Archmage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unrelated to that post:

I recently became interested in setting up an ecosystem and species and culture on a planet orbiting an "orange dwarf" star (of spectral class K) on the main-sequence (having luminosity class V; I suspect the "V" is the Roman numeral five, not the 22nd letter of the alphabet.)

I also became interested in setting up the ecosystem and the species an the culture on a planet that was between twice and three times the mass of Earth.

I'm kind of not-necessarily-irretrievably locked-in to the idea that Adpihi's sun is spectral class G, like Sol, and that the planet Adpihi has a mass at most undetectably different from that of Earth.

But I do have another intelligent biological species; the "space centipedes".

I have (provisionally) decided to make their "home" planet, or at least their species's planet-of-origin be the world above; orbiting a KV "orange dwarf" star, and having a planetary mass between twice and thrice the Earth's.

(If I have a qualm, it's that I'm not sure having a home planet more massive than Earth, could actually lead even a triphibious species with an airborne phase, to become "space centipedes". Maybe it would be more believable if their home planet were less massive than Earth, instead of more massive. But for now, I go on.)

In Reptigan times, the humans of Adpihi will have met the space centipedes, and after a political struggle the various species will be considered equal citizens of Reptigan (in later Reptigan, anyway).

I'm thinking the expansion of both human and space-centipede colonies can be speeded up by their co-operation.

I think the humans will be most comfortable on planets between 0.9 and 1.1 Earth masses, while the space-centipedes will be most comfortable on planets between 1.8 and 3.3 Earth-masses.

Maybe they'll agree that whenever the humans discover an otherwise-habitable planet that masses more than 1.5 Earth-masses, they'll turn it over to the space-centipedes; and whenever the space-centipedes discover an otherwise-habitable planet that masses less than 1.5 Earth-masses, they'll turn it over to the humans.

But either species will welcome those members of the other species who can actually stand to live on the planet.

What does anyone think?
eldin raigmore
Wizard
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About how close blood-kin can still be marriageable in Adpihi and Reptigan.

In (later) Reptigan:

No-one can marry any of their own descendants, nor any descendant of either of their parents, nor any descendant of any of their grandparents.

Also, no-one can marry any of their own ancestors, nor any child of any of their ancestors, nor any grandchild of any of their ancestors.

And, no-one can marry anyone with whom they share more than one great-grandparent.

So, one can marry one's half-second-cousin; or one's second-cousin-once-removed (that is, one's second-cousin's child, or one's parent's second-cousin); but one cannot marry one's full-second-cousin.

In later Adpihi and earlier Reptigan:

Everyone still inherits three "family names";
one such name is inherited always from one's mother (a "matriclan" name);
one such name is inherited always from one's father (a "patriclan" name);
and one such name is inherited always from one's parent of the opposite sex (like the Mundugumor rope)*.

*The "rope" has been reported in only one natculture (namely the Mundugumor), and as far as I know by only one anthropologist (Margaret Mead).
Many other anthropologists have expressed strong doubt that she reported correctly.
Those who backed up their complaints by independent field-work deserve to be listened to.
Probably, also, those who backed up their objections by data from Mead's own fieldwork.

But in my opinion those who objected just because it sounded ridiculous were being "armchair anthropologists", and those particular complaints should be ignored.
Anyway, feel free to assume the Adpihi "rope" or "alterclan" or whatever it should be named, is purely fictional.

In the oldest and earliest Adpihi the rule was one could not marry another if either of the other's parents belonged to any of the "family name" groups that one belonged to oneself; and one could not marry another if the other belonged to any of these groups that either of one's own parents belonged to.
(However the two fathers could belong to the same matriclan; the two mothers could belong to the same patriclan; and the bride's mother and the groom's father could belong to the same alterclan.)
When there were only three patriclans, only three matriclans, and only three alterclans, this led to a "prescriptive marriage system".

In late Adpihi and early Reptigan, the requirements are in one way looser (because there are 143 matriclans, 143 patriclans, and 143 alterclans); but in another way they are more strict (no grandparent of either party can share a family-name or clan-name with any grandparent of the other party).
This is not a prescriptive marriage system.

The closest blood-kin who can marry each other could be quadruple fourth-cousins.

If each of the bride's parents is a third-cousin to each of the groom's parents, then, depending on the details of those relationships, the two might be allowed to marry.

If each of each party's grandmothers is second-cousin to one of the other party's grandfathers, and each of each party's grandfathers is second-cousin to one of the other party's grandmothers, then, depending on the details of those relationships, the two might be allowed to marry.

If each of each party's grandmothers' mother is cross-cousin** to one of the other party's grandfathers' father, and each of each party's grandfathers' father is cross-cousin** to one of the other party's grandmothers' mother, then, depending on the details of those relationships, the two might be allowed to marry.

If each of each party's grandmothers' maternal grandfather is a brother of one of the other party's grandfathers' paternal grandmother, and each of each party's grandfathers' paternal grandmother is a sister of one of the other party's grandmothers' maternal grandfather, then if there's no other relationship, they would be allowed to marry.

**EGO and ALTER are cross-cousin if EGO's father and ALTER's mother are brother and sister, or if EGO's mother and ALTER's father are sister and brother. If their mothers are sisters, or their fathers are brothers, they are parallel-cousins.

In later Reptigan, laws concerning how close blood-kindred may marry each other, are relaxed somewhat; but there are also laws in Reptigan prohibiting marriage to certain of one's "relatives-in-law" or "step-relatives".

So, again, in some respects later Reptigan is more relaxed than earlier Reptigan, and in some respects later Reptigan is more strict than earlier Reptigan.
I am also chiarizio.
chiarizio
Archmage
Archmage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Class exogamy Reply with quote

I’m thinking part of my conworlds’ attempts to slow the growth of economic inequality, might be “class exogamy” —— an additional rule about marriage.

So far, my first approximation is this;
People in the richest half of the population must choose their spouses from the poorest half; people from the poorest half of the population must choose their spouses from the richest half.
(Possibly, also, people from the middle third must choose their spouses from one of the other thirds?)

Also, a person’s second spouse must be from a different economic quartile of the population than their first spouse.

———

I have not yet worked out whether this is possible, or stable, or would have unwanted side-effects. (That is, side-effects I don’t want in my Conworlds.)

It may be necessary to use the spouses’ parents’ classes, rather than the spouses’ own classes —— for an instance of a possible technical complication to feasibility.

How could I make it apply equally to both brides and grooms? I don’t want to have to apply it to just one sex.
If I have to use the maiden-or-bachelor’s parents’ economic class, rather than the younger betrothed’s own class, can I use both their parents’ classes? If so how? I’d want it to be something even-handed. It wouldn’t be a problem in cases where both their parents belong to the same class; but how safe would it be to just assume that would probably be so?

I’m thinking that a person seeking a second spouse will usually have their own class, and not be dependent on one or both of their parents. But in my Conworlds, one is usually (and ideally) one’s first spouse’s second spouse, and one’s second spouse’s first spouse. So normally if one of the betrothed couple is too new to economic independence to have a clearly established class, the other one does have a credit rating or FICO score or whatever my conworlds’ equivalent is.
But because premature death does happen, and divorce does happen, and so on, what’s ideal and usual and normal may sometimes not be what’s actual. So I’ll need to figure out what to do in those cases.

———

I expect I could use some help, if anyone thinks they can give me help. I imagine I could probably eventually work it out myself, given unlimited time to do so. But I might be wrong; I still don’t have my conlangs’ neography worked out or even well-begun, and I didn’t expect to be so stuck for so long. This might be like that, though I hope not.
chiarizio
Archmage
Archmage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just found out that Nigeria has an RL polygynandrous culture in which restrictions exist on the blood relationships allowed or preferred between a new spouse and an earlier spouse, and between a new spouse and a step-parent or a parent’s earlier spouse.

I’m wondering whether and how to work something like that into Adpihi or Reptigan.

https://anthrosource.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1525/aa.1973.75.5.02a00230

I started a new thread about it in “World and Culture”.
http://conworlds.fun/cwbb/viewtopic.php?t=1538&highlight=

The naive approach would be to say, in late Adpihi and early and mid Reptigan, you cannot marry anyone if any of their grandparents or step-grandparents or grandparents-in-law belong to any of the same groups as any of your grandparents or step-grandparents or grandparents-in-law.

This could get really restrictive if “step-grandparents” were taken to include not only a step-parent’s parents and a parent’s step-parents, but also a step-parent’s step-parents. It could also get quite constraining if it extended to step-grandparents-in-law.

A less restrictive, somewhat less naive, interpretation, might be;
None of your grandparents can belong to any of the same groups as any of their grandparents, any of their parents’ step-parents, any of their step-parents’ parents, or any of their spouses’ grandparents.
Likewise none of their grandparents can belong to any of the same groups as any of your grandparents, any of your parents’ step-parents, any of your step-parents’ parents, or any of your spouses’ grandparents.

I can work it out.

Maybe the restrictions that apply should contain at most two mentions of “grand-“ or “step-“ or “-in-law”.

Or something.

For instance:

Neither of the groom’s parents can belong to any of the same groups as any of the bride’s parents, grandparents, step-parents, parents-in-law, step-grandparents, grandparents-in-law, or step-parents-in-law.

None of the groom’s parents, grandparents, step-parents, or parents-in-law, can belong to any of the same groups as any of the bride’s parents, grandparents, step-parents, or parents-in-law.

None of the groom’s parents, grandparents, step-parents, parents-in-law, step-grandparents, grandparents-in-law, or step-parents-in-law, can belong to any of the same groups either of the bride’s parents belong to.

-—————–

Another possible formulation..

For the nonce define a first-degree-relative as a father or mother or brother or sister or husband or wife or son or daughter.
Define a second-degree-relative as a first-degree relative of a first-degree relative.
Define a third-degree relative as a 1st degree relative of a 2nd degree relative; equivalently, as a 2nd-degree relative of a 1st-degree relative.

Say you can’t marry someone if you or any of your 1st- or 2nd- degree relatives share any groups with them or any of their 1st- or 2nd- -degree relatives;
nor if you or any of your 1st-degree relatives share any groups with them or any of their 1st, 2nd, or 3rd degree relatives;
nor if you or any of your 1st, 2nd, or 3rd degree relatives share any groups with them or any of their 1st-degree relatives.

I’m pretty sure that’s awful damn restrictive. It might be unworkable with only 143 groups of each type. And the more married siblings one has, and the more stepparents one has, the harder it will be to make a match.

OTOH it might limit a population explosion simply by making it impossible for younger children (such as 3rd sons or 3rd daughters or 4th children) to marry.
chiarizio
Archmage
Archmage

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also
http://conworlds.fun/cwbb/viewtopic.php?p=21334&highlight=#21334 , and
http://conworlds.fun/cwbb/viewtopic.php?p=21353#21353 , and
http://conworlds.fun/cwbb/viewtopic.php?p=21352#21352.
chiarizio
Archmage
Archmage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A somewhat less restrictive proscription, that might fit Adpihi/Reptigan better.

EGO’s first and second spouse(s) must not belong to any of the same groups that EGO, or any of EGO‘s first-degree relatives belongs to. Equivalently, if EGO belongs to any of the same groups that ALTER, or any of ALTER’s first-degree relatives belong to, then EGO cannot marry ALTER for a first or second spouse.

Additionally, if the proposed marriage is the second or later marriage for either or both of them, as well as being the first or second marriage for either or both of them; neither of them can belong to any of the same groups that one of the other’s spouses belongs to.

If however the proposed marriage is the third or fourth marriage for each of them, they are allowed to be a bit more closely related. Neither is allowed to be a member of any of the same groups the other, or any of the other’s spouses, belong to.

I guess things just get messy when one of them is marrying for the fifth or sixth time. More than six weddings per customer is discouraged.
chiarizio
Archmage
Archmage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kinds of exogamy proposed for Adpihi/Reptigan so far, include:
Lineal-kinship-group exogamy
Geographic exogamy (residences or birthplaces)
Economic-class exogamy
Occupational exogamy
Linguistic exogamy
Religious exogamy

TTBOMM that list is complete. But maybe I’ve forgotten something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conworlds.fun Forum Index -> WIP conworlds All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: