conworlds.fun Forum Index conworlds.fun
A Community of Worldbuilders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cross post from ZBB: "reproduction"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bloodb4roses
Planewalker
Planewalker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Cross post from ZBB: "reproduction" Reply with quote

The mammals (Humans, Mrreprn, Auren, Danpyr) reproduce sexually, as per normal mammals. Plant elves reproduce through seeds, though I don't know if they have one sex or two, or if they can self-pollinate.

Etre. the gods of the world, do not reproduce. There are only so many Etre, and there will never be any more.

Vren may be able to reproduce sexually*, but most of them hatch from eggs that spontaneously appear in certain areas of the demonic realms. Dragons are thought to be somehow related to the Vren, and dragons can reproduce sexually or through parthogenesis. So, it is assumed that Vren can too.

* They have multiple genders, why not?
Fonori
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does an ethereal have sex? Do their energies just intertwine and mingle for a bit and produce some sort of semisolid egg-type thingy?
bloodb4roses
Planewalker
Planewalker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fonori wrote:
How does an ethereal have sex? Do their energies just intertwine and mingle for a bit and produce some sort of semisolid egg-type thingy?
I guess so.
Mr. Saturday
Adorable Troll

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reproduction works as normal among my sentient races, excepting only the vampires and the gods. The vampires reproduce the way one would expect them to; by way of transfusion. The gods, however, are a much more difficult affair. Sometimes gods just pop up out of nowhere, sometimes they are born by way of other gods sexually reproducing. However, when they do reproduce sexually, it is not always in the way mortals are used to: Śicorať is known as the Twice-Born because he has two mothers, Taillu of Time and Ishili of Lamentation. Do not ask me how this works, as they are gods and are not answerable to me.

Halikarnassian wrote:
And that asshole Mr. S was always going to eviscerate you just because he can.

Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.
bloodb4roses
Planewalker
Planewalker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloodb4roses wrote:
Fonori wrote:
I guess so.

To give a longer answer, that is one way it could work in the demonic realms. If they were manifested in the mortal realms at the time, I guess they would have sex (in a humanoid form), or the one acting as "female" would lay eggs that the "male" would fertilize (if in a form that does this).

Or, they could take a small part of their core, will or mind and combine it with the core/will/mind of another Vren. If they were to do this alone, they would make a clone of themself that could develop separately, basically a doppleganger. The two could later rejoin, taking an average of both personality-wise, and a bit stronger than either before they rejoined. However, they would both be weakened at the split. But, if they choose a partner/partners, there must be trust between them, and it is the "offspring" that will benefit, but it also is less of a strain on each participant. So, it's a trade-off.

With the core/will/mind sharing, you know what you will get approximately. With energy entwining or "mortal sex", it is random, but none of the participants have to pay a price to pass on a part of themselves.

With sex though, the Vren can also get new energy/abilities from the mortal races, though it's rare that they would choose to do this.
simon.clarkstone
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kigdatsi are simultaneous hermaphrodites, but apart from that reproduce as the natural Earth species. They can self-fertilise, but do not generally so do.

Currently, once an egg is laid, it is genetically checked to see if it corresponds to a realisation of the Kigdatsi source code. Any genetic errors will usually be edited out (since most will be only harmful). The genome will in any case be recorded and the consequences of it observed and/or calculated. If (rarely) a useful or neutral new genotype is found, it might be reverse-engineered and incorporated into some variation(s) of the source code.
OH, GOD SHIT JESUS.

A peculiar form of Theogenesis.
Mr. Saturday
Adorable Troll

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God you have the most boring conworld... ever.

Halikarnassian wrote:

eldin raigmore
Wizard
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Saturday wrote:
God you have the most boring conworld... ever.
Quit that.
Make your criticism constructive.
Either ask the questions you're interested in the answers for; or recommend a way to make what's presented more interesting.
Don't just say it's boring without saying why; nor without saying what would be less boring.
I am also chiarizio.
Mr. Saturday
Adorable Troll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's boring because it's sterile. There's no... humanity to it. There's nothing besides design. It's an android of a conworld. It looks like there's a soul, but the soul is lacking.

Halikarnassian wrote:

bloodb4roses
Planewalker
Planewalker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Saturday wrote:
It's boring because it's sterile. There's no... humanity to it. There's nothing besides design. It's an android of a conworld. It looks like there's a soul, but the soul is lacking.

It's funny you should say that. Although your conworld has an interesting construction, it seems somewhat dull and bleak. The funny thing about me saying that is that I have no problem with worlds that are "dark" by most standards, however there need to be something that flickers in the darkness, and catches my attention. I think simon's world is somewhat interesting in how alien it is to ours while still being consistent. Yours doesn't have consistence, M-Sat. It's a patchwork of weird that's been put through a shredder so it doesn't really have any substance to it.

I know that you gods are bat-shit crazy, and the world itself is a bit of reflection on you (chaotic, as you describe yourself). But too much chaos and it seems sterile anyway.

Anyway, as this is my thread, I'd like to share something I've decided: Although dragons did evolve physically, they're spiritually related to Vren, and a specific group of Vren at that. Since souls and the spirits of semi-sentient beings mix after dispersing or being destroyed, there are some people whose souls are slightly Vren/draconic. And yes Vren can have sex in the physical realm as long as they and who-/whatever they have sex with could mate naturally. Same rules apply for whether or not they'd have kids as for usual in my universe.
Mr. Saturday
Adorable Troll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I really need to paint a better picture of it, then. There are shining places, but they don't get talked about as much as the "bad places" and "bad practices". The Garden of Eternal Spring, the City of Lights, etc etc are all there, just not explained to you all yet. Mine is angry, yeah, but it has some feeling.

Halikarnassian wrote:

bloodb4roses
Planewalker
Planewalker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Saturday wrote:
There are shining places, but they don't get talked about as much as the "bad places" and "bad practices".

I don't think I explained well either, then. I would dislike most of my own world, because humans are basically the same, just they have magic. And some of them sacrifice people to Pethrar. And a psycho, ex-paladin Vrencil with a serrated katana is trying to take over the universe because his lover can't be a Vrencil as well. Sartai is like "Amur'ca" with magic on drugs, and I'd probably be hunted down by paladins because they'd think I was a Danpyr. Unless it's modern times: then I'd just be seen as a potential blood-junky.

But, if I could meet my characters, I'd still rather be there than here. Because here is boring, though it's not terrible. There it might get boring, but it's not for now.
Mr. Saturday
Adorable Troll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I do not understand at all.

Halikarnassian wrote:

Downtimer
Newcomer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my concultures are human. The only unusual thing is that Amazons have to travel to other countries to reproduce because they're all female.

But I think it would be really cool to have an asexual conspecies. Or a culture composed entirely of asexual humans.

bloodb4roses: I think your concultures are interesting.
Mr. Saturday
Adorable Troll

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh. That reminds me! The DŁar do not reproduce. They originated with the first Sheupe, but lack genitalia, and are immortal in a way that the Sheupe are not; you can kill them, but they "respawn" in their towers.

Halikarnassian wrote:

bloodb4roses
Planewalker
Planewalker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gods don't reproduce. If you destroyed one, they'd be gone forever and no others would come and take their place. Unless you think of both Etre and Vren as "gods", then just the Etre don't reproduce.
Rin
Conjurer
Conjurer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. My humanoid species ( Aeriens, Wylden, Firgo, Hakka) reproduce the same way we do. The only strange thing I can think of is that identical twins share one soul and thus share a connection their whole life. You don't get identical triplets or quadruplets or whatever- the soul would not adhere to their body and there would be a miscarrige. Twins who share a soul like this are very rare, and considered sacred in some cultures, and cursed in others.

EDIT: BLAKE STOP EDITING MY DAMN POSTS

Threadkiller!!!
Mr. Saturday
Adorable Troll

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respawning is so much cooler.

Halikarnassian wrote:

Fonori
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Saturday wrote:

So, is the respawning like mobs in MMOs? They just reappear in their natural state. Or is their some kind of sprouting and growing involved?
Anarel
Newcomer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Humans and the other humanoid species (Elan, Arunae and Onyŗryd) reproduce the same way we do, but the Za'en are oviparous, they reproduce the same way amphibians or fish do.

http://nahaiteru.wikispaces.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mr. Saturday
Adorable Troll

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fonori wrote:
Mr. Saturday wrote:

So, is the respawning like mobs in MMOs? They just reappear in their natural state. Or is their some kind of sprouting and growing involved?

Yep. Think more an FPS, though. "O HAY YOU'RE DEAD RESPAWN IN 5... 4..."

Only they don't lag like that. You kill their mortal forms, BAM, they reappear in their tower, miffed. This explains why they don't have piercings or body art, and refrain from overornate clothing... it stays where their dead body was.

Halikarnassian wrote:

Foolster41
Conjurer
Conjurer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salthans basicly reproduce as one might expect reptilian creatures would. They give live births, like some reptilian animal species do in our world.
Roose Hurro
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of my species reproduce sexually, with anything from marsupial avians to a techno-biological race where the divide between what is male and what is female can be hard to tell, since they spend much of their time in a "non-gendered" state (took me a while to figure out how it all worked).
intermundi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a currently unnamed conspecies, offspring starts life as an appendage of the mother. When a certain level of maturity has been reached it is "detached" and becomes a fully independent creature.

Roose Hurro wrote:
...they spend much of their time in a "non-gendered" state (took me a while to figure out how it all worked).
Does that mean they can change sex at will?
Linguifex
Conjurer
Conjurer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

intermundi wrote:
In a currently unnamed conspecies, offspring starts life as an appendage of the mother. When a certain level of maturity has been reached it is "detached" and becomes a fully independent creature.

Sort of like a reverse of the system deep-sea anglerfish use?
John 3:16

A//A
Roose Hurro
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

intermundi wrote:
Roose Hurro wrote:
...they spend much of their time in a "non-gendered" state (took me a while to figure out how it all worked).
Does that mean they can change sex at will?

No, they are born without determinable gender (no differentiated reproductive system), reach maturation, develop their gender/sex, then spend most of their time in a "neutered" state, with a "seasonal" breeding period. However, once an individual has matured, their gender/sex is stable, and doesn't change, by will or otherwise. Though... a single individual, isolated for a long period of time, could conceivably produce an opposite-gender "clone" to establish their species in this isolated territory. "Male" or "female", this species produces only one reproductive cell per individual per breeding season. This is why it took me a while to determine how to tell "male" from "female"... Wink
intermundi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rorschach wrote:
intermundi wrote:

Sort of like a reverse of the system deep-sea anglerfish use?
Something like that, yes.
chiarizio
Archmage
Archmage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Adpihi and Reptigan;
Humans reproduce the way humans reproduce here and now; though, in Reptigan, there may be other choices, just as there are beginning to be other choices here and now. (Though those other choices aren't fundamentally different.)

Artificial Intelligences reproduce the way you'd expect; they build new machines, or hire them built.

The various non-human biological sapients, will reproduce in various ways. Most of them will reproduce by mating, i.e. by sexual reproduction; most will have exactly two sexes, the ones who can become mothers but not fathers, and the ones who can become fathers but not mothers. The most common variants on that will be:
  • sequential hermaphroditism
    • young adults are female while older adults are male
    • younger adults are male while older adults are female

• permanently bi-capable hermaphroditism
  • other two-sex arrangements
    • males and hermaphrodites
    • females and hermaphrodites

• any arrangement already mentioned modified by adding facultative parthenogenesis
    • but only to the hermaphrodites
    • but only to the females
    • to every sex

Due to personal interest in the possibilities, I might want to include at least one species with cyclic hermaphroditism;
  • young adults are female,
    middle-aged adults are male, older adults are female again
  • young adults are male, middle-aged adults are female, older adults are male again
  • arrangements where they can and must and do change sex more often

I also might want to include a three-sex three-parent species.

And/or some other arrangement with more than two sexes.

Odds are most of the sapient species will reproduce a lot like placental mammals. There might be some or many marsupial-like arrangements, too. There probably won't be a lot of oviparous sapients; but maybe some. They'll all mostly be warm-blooded, at least some of the time; maybe some of them'll be cold-blooded when they hibernate? or something?
chiarizio
Archmage
Archmage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found out about the RL existence of "mesotherms" -- animals that are sometimes cold-blooded and sometimes warm-blooded, and may have some very-limited control over which they'll be.

Did anyone here already know about the land-going hoofed crocodiles that used to exist RL? I'd imagine since they weren't partly aquatic, they were warmer-blooded than surviving RL crocs.
bloodb4roses
Planewalker
Planewalker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiarizio wrote:
I just found out about the RL existence of "mesotherms" -- animals that are sometimes cold-blooded and sometimes warm-blooded, and may have some very-limited control over which they'll be.

Did anyone here already know about the land-going hoofed crocodiles that used to exist RL? I'd imagine since they weren't partly aquatic, they were warmer-blooded than surviving RL crocs.

I believe I heard of those crocs, but not specifically that they were mesotherms. I think I've heard more about some dinosaurs being mesotherms, and maybe some modern fish that live in colder climates. I'm not sure what else irl might be like that, but I knew about the concept. I'm not sure if or how it would tie in with reproduction, since there are warm blooded creatures who lay eggs (like birds and egg laying mammals) and there are cold blooded creatures who give live birth (some species of velvet worms off the top of my head, and probably others).

But, being a mesotherm may have other interesting details. Also at least some info in this thread is very old and does not apply as well as it used to (specifically anything about danpyr is suspect currently).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conworlds.fun Forum Index -> World & Culture All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: