conworlds.fun Forum Index conworlds.fun
A Community of Worldbuilders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I have a project I've been working on for over a year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conworlds.fun Forum Index -> Game Mechanics & Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xhin
The Collector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: I have a project I've been working on for over a year Reply with quote

It's called NIFE.

It's basically an engine that lets you make online text-based MMORPG's (it also hosts them for you).

It's been done for a while, but I've continuously been adding new features and polishing things.

One of the main things I want to use it for is showcasing what I call Living Worlds -- basically conworlds that you can explore and interact with.

At the moment the engine lets players:

* Move around the world from "room" to "room"
* Talk to characters about various stuff
* Pick up and use items for various things (this gets a bit complicated)
* Progressively unlock new sections of the world through picking up keys, solving puzzles, etc
* Craft items together into new items via trial-and-error or recipes they pick up in some way (reading carryable books, fixed signs, etc)
* Drive vehicles around (these can be any type of character like a horse or spaceship or w/e, not necessarily just a car)
* Use machines to affect pretty much anything about the game world (useful for puzzles), including moving characters around, altering room relationships, etc (I have a friend who literally built a portal gun via this system)
* Buy or sell stuff from shops. Multiple currencies are supported.
* Plant and harvest crops, which also drop specific items when they reach maturity
* Unlock "Lore" in various ways which gets stored in a lore journal and is basically an article about the world in some capacity.
* There's a pretty good framework in place for things like day/night cycles and seasons based on real time. I still have some work to do here, but you can definitely already alter the things you can talk to NPC's about or which rooms are connected to a certain room.

There's also a bunch of features for fixed-length games like a rudimentary combat system, potions, containers, equipment, etc. If you wanted to set up some kind of goal-based campaign inside your world you totally could (or maybe just make a new game world for it).

What I'm thinking with regards to conworlds is that you guys would have a way of showcasing your world, including its magic system and physics to some extent. You'd give them a link and they'd be able to go in and explore the world themselves instead of just reading posts.

Making worlds with it is very easy. Lots of clicking and typing, no programming skills needed. I've optimized the hosting panels heavily over the past few months and added some useful shortcuts, though I still have some work ahead. The hosting panels are all web-based, as are the way you actually play the game.

The gameplay uses a bunch of select boxes instead of typed commands, though I'm working on adding link-based shortcuts (like movement especially). An optional command-line-type interface is also feasible at some point in the future.

If you want to get a feel for the interface, you can play kind of a semi-conworld I made here:

http://gtx0.com/play/superpowers

If you guys are interested I'll totally drop the link for Hosting too, but bear in mind the in-panel help files are like only 25% written. I or someone called Moonray can probably help you set things up though.

GameTalk X.0 -- Here
chiarizio
Archmage
Archmage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll have to look at it later tonight, or more likely tomorrow.
Fetus Commander
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Location: 1 in a wastebasket filled with pizza and prom confetti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn, sweet!

i'm a fan of game making tools of any kind, and this sounds pretty awesome. gonna check it out at some point when i get a minute.

thanks for making this

“Learning would forever spoil the best slave in the world…it would forever unfit him to be a slave." -Hugh Auld
chiarizio
Archmage
Archmage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fetus Commander wrote:
I’m a fan of .... making tools of any kind, ...

What F.C. just said!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conworlds.fun Forum Index -> Game Mechanics & Games All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: