conworlds.fun Forum Index conworlds.fun
A Community of Worldbuilders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Danpyr as sci fantasy species

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conworlds.fun Forum Index -> Magic & Science fiction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bloodb4roses
Planewalker
Planewalker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Danpyr as sci fantasy species Reply with quote

This is mostly a place to drop all the things about Danpyr I don't care to look at using science as we know it.

For example: Danpyr feed on energy in the form of "lifeforce" which is separate from, or at least a very specific transformation of, electromagnetic radiation. This would mean that while they are beings that can probably exist on a wide range of planets for survival purposes, they would need to at least minimally terraform(?) said planets and introduce lower life forms OR piggy back other sentient species' settlements.

I don't particularly want reasons how or why this works, but from a narrative standpoint, do know that I'll have to at least explain 1) how far away a danpyr could feed on someone or something, 2) what effects there are from being fed on besides death if fed on too heavily, 3) social mores around feeding, especially on sentient beings if it occurs at all, etc.
bloodb4roses
Planewalker
Planewalker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess I'll get back to throwing things in here. I hadn't realized I made this thread before the old board closed.

Anyway, aside from how far they could reach to feed, I'm also considering what could disrupt their ability to do so (that at least some humans might use as defensive measures or otherwise). Which would also imply I need to figure out how those work.

And I need to decide how space travel works. I mean, danpyr can actually hibernate for long periods and have long possible life spans anyway. So having them sleep through long space voyages would be ok, especially before they met up with other sentients. I feel like humans would do whatever they could to decrease the time of travel they could, whether that meant finding/making wormholes or FTL travel (though that would cause issues for plot stuff.

Of course this doesn't have to be like space in OUR universe either, so stars and planets could just be closer together. I guess. I'm not sure if that would add to the fantasy story in space feel or not.
bloodb4roses
Planewalker
Planewalker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of having different "types" of space for the danpyr universe, and within each type there might be different "layers" or "channels" but i haven't decided on naming conventions yet.

The first main type is where space, time or both are scaled differently from "base space" like we know. It's usually very energy intensive to reach layers of space that are more compressed, and as such would make travel "shorter". But danpyr tend to use ones where space is about the same scale or even a bit stretched, but time runs faster; they simply go into cryosleep until they near their destination. The "fastest" layer makes a trip that would take a year traveling through normal space take only a week to base space observers, but for those on the ship more than 2 years have passed due to a larger scale of space there. This is why humans tend to avoid these layers unless the trip is already short and time (in base space) is of the essence.

Humans prefer the second type of space which is one where the fabric of space is in a different shape. On one hand, if you slip into an uncharted layer, you may have no idea where you will end up. On the other, there are well known and charted "paths" through the more common ones going to more important places, and many people in smaller systems know a few channels that are less used but still useful to their needs.

The last type is where certain traits of space itself, outside of scale and how quickly time runs, are different. There are no major channels of this type and even for the layers that are deemed "safe" for travel, that only means that lasting damage won't be caused when following certain precautions.

These types can be combined, but it's easier to only adjust for one at a time both from an energy standpoint and just being able to get back to base space.
bloodb4roses
Planewalker
Planewalker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i haven't decided how people travel but i have decided the stars are literally deities. They often have their own concerns but you might get something if you pray to your local star(s). Also the idea that white dwarfs, black dwarfs and black holes are the corpses of ancient gods is just very aesthetically and intellectually pleasing to me.
chiarizio
Archmage
Archmage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conworlds.fun Forum Index -> Magic & Science fiction All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: